Thursday 1 April 2021

The Start of the Butterfly Counting Season.

Having been released today from 'Shielding' and the weather being good I took the opportunity to visit the Tadnoll Nature Reserve to firstly, check on the condition of the transect route and, if any, count the butterflies. Pleasingly the transect was much drier than it often is at this time of year. The heathland section drains rapidly and is usually dry but the old water meadows can be difficult after a wet winter. This area is now destined to becom 'mere' and many of the old drainage channels seem to have been blocked and are no longer  difficult to cross. I got round the transect quite easily, in spite of the fact that I forgot my boots and went round in shoes. A team of seven of us covers the 26 weeks of the counting season, doing three or four weeks each, and I upload the counts into the UK Butterfly Monitoring Scheme data base.

And did I see any butterflies?  Yes, 3 Peacocks and 1 Comma.

No comments:

Post a Comment