Monday 1 June 2020

First Dragonfly.

The first dragonfly of the year, a Broad Bodied Chaser, has turned up in the garden. This may or may not have emerged from my garden pond, as this species is known to wander. The larvae can take between one and three years to emerge. Their food consists of insects, small fish and tadpoles. Is that where all my tadpoles went? There isn't one to be seen now.


Broad Bodied Chaser. Click to enlarge. Photo. John Elliott    
My family are keeping me well supplied with wildlife photos to lighten the darkness of lockdown. From Hampshire comes a most unusual photo of a Hawfinch visiting my daughter's garden. These birds usually inhabit the tops of woodland trees and I wonder if its usual food supplies are scarce, so making it visit village gardens.

Hawfinch Click to enlarge.  Photo. Ryan Bundy.

No comments:

Post a Comment